Flossing your teeth ? Is it necessary
Healthy teeth and gums with bright shining smile makes your face glow. But there are many oral hygiene methods to keep them healthy and clean . Most important of which is tooth brushing and Flossing . Tooth brushing is very important for proper oral hygiene . But what is most neglected is Flossing . Flossing is equally important like brushing to keep the teeth and gums healthy. It works in between two teeth where normal brush cannot reach and clean .
Today the type of food we eat, it affects our teeth very badly. Food which affects your teeth very badly are:–
- Sugar containing drinks etc.
This can lead to increase in bacteria count in between teeth and hence causes lot of dental problems. To prevent it we need to floss to secure proper oral hygiene. Flossing Helps to remove plaque, gums and bacteria from our teeth which are not removed by brush. Brushing is not the only way to protect your teeth from germs, because brushing between teeth is not possible .That is why we need to floss our teeth on daily basis or book appointment with Best Dental Clinic and take good advice.
Types of Floss:– Flossing is necessary for our teeth on daily basis. The right time to floss our teeth is after the least meals of the day.
There are two types of floss which you can use for your tooth.
- Multifilament or Nylon floss
- Monofilament or PTFE floss
Both the types are good for flossing, but the Monofilament or PTFE is the best way to floss your teeth because it can easily floss your teeth even between tight spaces.
How frequently should you floss?
Flossing should be done once daily just before retiring to bed . As it removes all food in between teeth and prevent bacterial accumulation in night . During night saliva secretion decreases, saliva has many agents that inhibit bacteria , so it is very important to floss and brush after the last meals of the day to prevent these bacteria from cultivating .
How to do flossing?
Here are some guidelines which you follow when you floss your teeth.
- Take at least 18 inches of dental floss.
- Twist the floss around your middle finger of both hands.
- Hold tight the floss between your thumb and middle finger of both hands.
- Slide the floss softly up and down between your teeth.
- Repeat the step 4 and move from tooth to tooth with clean floss.
Once you have done with flossing, throw the dental floss away. Never reuse the same floss because it causes harm to your gums and teeth. It also affects your teeth by leaving the bacteria in your mouth.
Do’s and Don’ts of Dental Flossing:– To get the maximum benefit of flossing , we have to remember certain things :-
- Take at least 18 inches of dental floss for better results.
- Softly pushing down the floss between teeth.
- Use your middle finger and index to twist the end of floss.
- Hold the floss tight around the tooth.
- Just make sure you used the ADA seal approved product because this seal is necessary for your dental health.
- Always take a new piece of floss every day.
- Ask your dentist to give you proper feedback or advice for flossing technique which is the best suitable for your tooth. Like water flossing or dental flossing or any other tool.
Don’ts of flossing:-
- Don’t be so aggressive while going flossing.
- Everyday used new dental floss for your tooth. If you used dirty floss or before used floss it may harm your teeth. So always use clean floss for better result.
- If you are confused which flossing technique is best for your tooth then ask your dentist and use only ADA seal approved products.
- If you are confused between flossing or brushing which comes first? It really depends upon you. The important thing is to note that combination of brushing and flossing can minimize the gums and bacteria in your mouth.
- Don’t forget to floss your teeth on daily basis. Because brushing is not the only way to clean your mouth from bacteria and gum.
Flossing helps to remove the gum and bacteria from your mouth. It will avoid cavities and gum disease. Flossing is very beneficial for your dental health so always remember it and do it on daily basis.
Summary: Brushing and flossing both are very important for complete oral health. Flossing helps to remove plaque, bacteria in between the teeth which cannot be done by brushing alone. Flossing prevents bacterial and food accumulation in between teeth and hence prevent caries and gums problems like bleeding , recession . It also helps prevent bad breath from the mouth. Flossing is used as an adjunct to brushing and it makes gums and teeth healthy by preventing deposition of dental plaque and food in between teeth .Keep brushing and flossing to keep your teeth and gums healthy.